Whether you’re moving to a new home or updating an existing one, a few home furniture buying tips will help you be on the right track for a good look. Color, style and size will all make an impact, yet you should also take into consideration the comfort and durability of the home furniture that you purchase. Your home is where you can get away from work for rest and relaxation, even if you work out of your house. Think about making your home as comfortable and inviting as possible when buying home furniture with a few of the tips below.
- A white room is easy to decorate. If you are buying a new home with white walls and are considering paint and new furniture, remember that almost anything goes with white and you may not need to paint. If you are uncomfortable with a color on your walls, think about painting white.
- Purchase furniture that tolerates roughhousing. That is, if you have children, playful friends or pets. Make sure the furniture has been tested if you have these conditions. Durable furniture is well worth the value.
- Adapt home furniture for size of room. If a room is big, create a cozy human scale with a high backed sofa and a tea height table between them. When you have a small room with lower ceilings, your home furniture buying should concentrate on low profile sofas, tables and beds. A sense of scale is much more calming and easy to look at.
- High coffee tables are more functional. When you think about it, it’s nice not to have to reach down so far to pick up a drink glass or a magazine off of a living room table. Tea height tables are great to work more comfortably. With many televisions that are found in so many of our living rooms now hung on the wall instead of on the floor, it makes it easier to view with a taller table.
- Flow is necessary from room to room. When on a home furniture buying trip, be sure to use complementary accents from room to room that enhance the course. A piece of art with red hung in the hall will match the red sofa accent pillows which match the red dining room chair cushions. Purchasing accessories with your home furniture is important too.
- Check for a warranty. When you are spending a great deal of money on furniture for your home, it’s a good idea to see if there is any sort of warranty for the pieces. Just as you like a warranty for your refrigerator or television set, a warranty on furniture is important to have against broken sofa springs, chair legs and fabrics.
- Shop around. See what is available for your living room, dining room and bedrooms. When you have an idea of what’s available, it’s easier to make a final decision. No one piece will “make” a room, but when you find a special item, you can build around it.
Home furniture buying is fun, especially when you have a plan and are prepared to shop.